Inspired by starshuffler's recent entry, I came up with my own playlist, my mix of the week, a lopsided soundtrack to an emotionally uneven series of events that were happening all around me, but not to me. Mabi and I used to kid around that our lives were like black and white French movies, static (and silent) opening sequences in train stations --- reading a book, maybe, or chewing on a pen as people, shadows and headlights pass our unmoving shoulders in synthetic frenzy.
Now, the songs, in particular order.
1. Going Through the Motion - Aimee Mann
2. It's Raining - Quasi
3. Waiting for Sunset - Beulah
4. Stuck on an Island - Liz Phair
5. Here On In - South
6. Recycled Air (live) - Ben Gibbard
7. Headphones - Bjork
8. Sun Comes Up, It's Tuesday Morning - Cowboy Junkies
9. Cold Water - Damien Rice
10. Poor Fractured Atlas - Elvis Costello
11. I Know - Fiona Apple
12. I'm Tongue-Tied - Magnetic Fields
13. The Same Thing You Thought Hard About is the Same Part I Can Live Without - Evan Dando
14. The Final Push of the Sum - Grandaddy
15. Wigout - The Mongols
16. Heaven - Lamb
17. Ctrl-Alt-Delete - Silverman
King of the Jail House
On introducing her new song, King of the Jail House, in the Aimee Mann: Live at St. Anne's DVD: This is a new song ... about a sad, bitter, dysfunctional relationship. Wait. That's all my songs.